Subject: A Challenge to all Animators
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Eric Hanson) ()
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 22:47:40 -0500

Ok, here's something that has been bugging me for a while.
  
  I'm sure all of you have been to see a movie at a Mann theatre recently.
At least, if there are Mann franchises in your area.

  I went to a movie last night (Dead Man Walking) at a really nice new
Mann 12-plex. DTS Digital sound and THX in every theatre.

  The Mann corporate intro is just abyssmal. It is CG, and it has to be
at least 5 years old now.

  This is the one that starts with a little moviola showing a film of a
courtyard with a fountain and palm trees. Then the viewer moves around
an _into_ the scene in the moviola.

  There's a really bad visual jump as you switch from the courtyard scene
being image-mapped onto the moviola screen to being in the courtyard.

  Once you're in the courtyard, the camera moves up through the fronds of
the palm tree (where you can see the HOLLYWOOD sign on a hill beyond) and
into the sky, where the Mann logo beams in. Finally, the word Theatres pops
into existance below it, one letter at a time, each with a small shower of
sparks.

  Ok, by now you must know which one I'm talking about. This has got to
be the cheesiest logo I have seen in quite a while.

  My challenge: Any one of you on this list could do better with your
mouse-hand tied behind your back. So do so. Do it for the LightSpeed
animation contest logo category. Do something cool. Use all your tricks.
Make it really gorgeous. Make it really snazzy. Make it really rad. And
when you win the contest, see if you can sell it to the Mann Theatres
people. They need it baaaaaad...

  P.S. In the closing credits of Dead Man Walking, it notes in very large
print that:

  "This Film was Edited on Old Fashioned Machines."

Chris - Xenon
-- 
 Chris Hanson | [email-masked] | I've got friends in low latitudes!
World Construction Set Web Page! <a href="http://www.dimensional.com/~questar">WCS</a>
 "There is no Truth. There is only Perception. To Perceive is to Exist." - Xen